I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing–that it all started with a mouse. –Walt Disney
My youngest daughter has recently expressed an interest in sewing. Since we are taking a trip with her Girl Scout troop to the World later this year, we decided to make Minnie bags for her friends. I chose pre-made bags and helped her add the embellishments.
- Pre-made cotton canvas bags (I ordered 10-inch by 12-inch bright colored bags from Oriental Trading) These are thin, but work well for someone just learning to sew
- Decorative fabric
- Coordinating ribbon
- Sewing machine
- Wonder-under fusible paper backed webbing
- MIckey head template
- Ironing cloth (I use an old plain pillowcase)
- Decide on a design and trace or cut on smooth side (paper backing) of fusible webbing.
- Iron onto decorative fabric. This will be a reverse image of what will appear on the bag. Since it’s Minnie, it looks the same either way 🙂
- Cut out fabric, remove paper backing and place webbing side down onto bag.
- Cover with damp ironing cloth and iron on wool setting for 5-10 seconds (Ironing cloth will be pretty dry once finished ironing).
- Using a decorative stitch setting (we chose a zig zag style), stitch around design. Be careful NOT to stitch through front and back of bag together OR through bag handles (yes…we did that)
6. Create a simple bow from the coordinating ribbon and hand sew onto your Minnie ear design.
Of course, my daughter’s had to be different, so she added a jeweled crown 🙂
Have fun being creative!